Wednesday, September 10, 2008

slc baby tour 2008

We took a long weekend to visit my family in Salt Lake. Stella was considerably more animated on this flight, she was squealing with delight and I think we made people nervous that they would be stuck next to us on the plane. Luckily we got our own row, and no crying... yeah!!!

We had an ice cream social Friday night, which is a family tradition on my dad's side. One that I need to keep going here, if only I could meet some people who like to make ice cream. The concept is simple: everyone brings a different flavor of homemade ice cream. There was peach, mint oreo, pina colada, super dark chocolate, and vanilla. Yum, it was definitely worth the sugar indulgence. Now that I think about it, maybe I should help educate some of my friends on the joys of making ice cream...

Stella got to meet her Great-Grandma Bernice, along with many of my aunts, uncles and cousins. My cousin Emma even got her to giggle again. So cute! So fleeting!

Stella Rose with Great-Grandma Bernice:
Four generation shot (that's my dad in the middle):

September in SLC is absolutely amazing. The weather is perfect - sunny and blue skies, temps in about the 80s with a cool breeze everywhere, gets a bit chilly at night. Lawns are green and lush, softer than carpet and cool and refreshing on your bare feet (in TX you would not dare for fear of creatures). If the whole year could be like that we would have to move. Everything is green and blooming, gardens full of good things.

Here's Grandma Jenny introducing Stella to her first home-grown tomato:

Saturday we went with Paul, Amanda, Kaia, Chris, my dad and Jenny for a hike. Paul suggested we head toward Snowbird as Oktoberfest was going on. So hiking turned into bier, bratwurst, polka music and a stroll in the mountains. Here's bambina with Grandma Jenny on the bus:

Kaia and Stella get in the Oktoberfest spirit. I'm not naming names, but just maybe someone knocked Stella's noggin...

Stephen and the bambina on a stroll:

My brother and niece, who conked out in her carrier:

Stella also succumbed to the hypnotic rhythm of our stroll. The flap is up so she doesn't get sun in her face as the altitude is high there. This picture cracks me up.

Sunday we had a baby shower for my sister Becca at my mom's house. We didn't take enough pictures, but we had a ball. (How can it not be a ball when a game of cornhole is involved?) The shower was fun, we had a contest where couples had to dance with an egg balanced between their foreheads. Stella got to meet her Great-Grandma Holtshouser, more aunts, uncles, cousins and friends, along with some much needed time with Grandma Sugar.
Here is Stella with Great-Grandma H:
She has one more great-grandmother still to meet. We are so lucky to have such a big family. More pictures are on our Flickr site.

5 comments:

Kari said...

Jessica hey--very cool blog!! Your announcement has been sitting on the counter forever now and just thought I should check it out. Anyway sorry we missed you while you were here. Next time you are in SLC give us a ring. I will check back soon. You have a beautiful family. Kari (Fuller) Roach

Jessica said...

kari - so great to hear from you! how is life back in happy valley? email me at jessicamandala at yahoo dot com. love to catch up!

Kim said...

I love ice cream and love to make it too. What a great family tradition. Perhaps you should move to the Bay Area...

jeanie said...

Hi Jessica - I'm one of your dad's Indiana cousins. Think I last saw you before my brother Jeff got married and that's been a long time! Anyway - saw the announcement about Stella at my folks yesterday and thought I'd check out the blog. She is beautiful and I enjoyed your SLC pics. Everyone looks great esp your grandma Bernice. The hiking pics made me want to hop on a plane - it's been a long time since I've seen a mountain. It was good seeing your dad and Jenny labor day weekend. Don't feel like we got to chat much - we had a lot of people there. Anyway - best wishes to you. You have a lovely family. God bless...Jeanie Roberson

Jessica said...

Hi Jeanie - wow, it has been a long time! It's great to hear from you. Glad to know someone actually reads this thing! Bernice just had knee surgery but is doing well.