Monday, February 14, 2011

valentine's day

There is a lot to dislike about Valentine's Day - overpriced flowers, limited menu at your favorite restaurant, crowds and a general air of panic. I used to love being at the grocery store on Valentine's Day right after work - just to watch the desperation as people try to find some way to adequately express their love via prepackaged edibles. The pressure!

I wish we could go back to how we did it when we were kids -  a day to do nice things for your friends and share with the other kids in your class (community), and even find something nice to say about those kids who drive you crazy.

I'm a big believer in telling people what they mean to you, which does not necessarily have anything to do with romance. This day is for everyone.

I'm so grateful for my family. My sisters Becca, Judy, Sabrina and Amanda. They know me better than I know myself sometimes. My brother, my parents (all four). My gigantic extended family. 54 FIRST cousins. I haven't even tried to count the second cousins. Aunts and uncles. The best in-laws anyone could ask for. The extended family on Stephen's side, all of whom have welcomed me with open arms. Amazing nieces and nephews. Grandparents, great-aunts and uncles. I am so very lucky to have so many. Some families could field their own sports team - we could have a league.

I'm lucky to have good friends, old and new. College friends who thought me wild. Childhood friends  who thought me quiet. Work friends. Now mom friends. Art friends and kindred souls. Friends who see the batsignal. Friends to travel the world with. Friends who can just pick up after forever. Long friendships that have grown a comfortable veneer. New friendships with the spark of possibilities. Every one means something to me, every one adds to me and makes me a better person.

My husband: my great romance, the love of my life. There is nobody like him.

My kids - I say enough about them already. But they are my delight. I laugh a lot more these days. I never thought I would be a mom but I am glad I am.

XOXO

1 comment:

Felicia said...

"Some families could field their own sports team - we could have a league."

Love it! What a wonderful post! :)