Friday, February 4, 2011

no resolutions, just goals

So along with everyone else, I've been thinking a lot lately about new years' resolutions. I find that any time I get to step outside my normal routine I get a new perspective and all kinds of new ideas. That's one of the reasons I love travel so much. Even when I was working a 9-5 job I would get my best ideas while stuck in all-day meetings. I think this is why we all are inspired to make resolutions in January - we have the holiday season to take us out of our normal routines. And once you are out of your routine, you tend to re-examine it and hopefully consider ways you might want to improve your life.

Well last year was anything but routine! So I had a long time to think about this one, and I figured with a c-section and new baby in November, and then the holidays, 2011 was the time to really focus on my fitness goals. So I've had lots of time to recover from the surgery, Roman is doing great, and it is not incredibly hot outside. Now its just a matter of logistics, but my goal for this year is to run a 12-minute mile.

Real runners are laughing at this goal, and non-runners might be thinking that is fast. I can assure you it is not fast. Not even close. But it is faster than I have ever run! It is the benchmark I could never meet growing up - it was the bane of my existence in gym class. I had mild asthma but probably the real problem was that I didn't learn how to breathe right until I was in my 20s. I know that sounds ridiculous, but anytime I tried to run, I would inhale with EVERY SINGLE STEP and hyperventilate after about 100 yards. Finally Stephen helped me figure it out when we first started dating. I use the word "running", but it would probably be more accurate to say "jogging" - my mascot has always been the tortoise!

Since then I have trained for and completed two half marathons. I've done 5ks. All slowly. I know what it takes to do distance, and the mental game involved. But these days my pace really can't even be considered "jogging". We'll be nice and call it jogging or running because the movements are the same, but really it is just some kind of ambulation.

So I finally did my baseline run. 18 minutes and 12 seconds (disgraceful!). I guess I should be glad I can even complete a mile after about a whole year without running. But YIKES! I'm even slower than I thought! I mean people can walk faster than that. (Not me, of course - I checked.) I might be the slowest ambulator in the history of ever. But on the upside, nowhere to go but faster!

I've got the RunKeeperPro app on my phone to track my time, pace and distance. The best part - it gives coaching and cues through the headphones, so I don't even have to look at my phone. I have it set up to coach me through intervals - it will tell me when to run fast, slow, etc. I will also be configuring it to automatically post my runs to Facebook - all this is to help me stay accountable.

It may well take me all year to reach this goal, but I think it is a good one. Simple, portable, and quick. It is snowing outside at the moment, and there is a thick layer of ice underneath that has kept most of the city indoors since Monday night. I have a serious case of cabin fever, but even I know better than to try to run on ice. (I don't have a great track record of "not falling down" either. Something to consider for 2012.) But I'm ready for my next run - I will be doing intervals to get faster. Next run will be 2 minutes at my normal pace, followed by 15 seconds of sprinting. Rinse and repeat. As I improve, I will up the amount of time spent going fast. This should do the trick.

Wish me luck. Encouragement and good-natured taunts will be much appreciated!

1 comment:

Felicia said...

AWESOME! Sounds like fun. Remember that we have access to the Nike employee store, so let us know if you need to place orders for any inspirational (50% discounted) gear! :)