Monday, February 21, 2011

progress

So... an update on the 12 minute mile goal. My baseline run was completed in 18:54, but according to RunKeeper it was at an average pace of 18:12. I'm sure there is something sophisticated about how those two numbers can be different but I haven't got the energy to figure it out.

So that plus the fact that my GPS tends to go a little wonky on my block (where I usually run), I've got a backup method of just starting the stopwatch. The other day I took both kids for a walk in the double stroller and we went around the block (1/2 mile) - RunKeeper told me I had gone 2.75 miles in like 12 minutes and sent me a congratulatory email. Fail! Bad RunKeeper! I've used it on a marked trail and it worked perfectly. The good news is that it seems that when in goes wrong, it does so in a big way. I can see my minute-by-minute pace suddenly drop or rise to ridiculous levels. So we will be measuring in a more simple way - how long it takes to cover one mile. Preferably a known mile so I don't fake myself out.

Anyhow - I ran the same stretch last weekend with my sister-in-law in 18:17. Yay for intervals! Yay for having company on the run! Boo for waffles and blueberry sausage beforehand!

Then this past weekend I ran on a high school track.  I had always assumed the innermost lane was the one that was exactly .25 miles around, but according to the GPS and RunKeeper I had a bit further to go to make it a mile. So I did, and finished that in 16:40. Yay for progress! And flatness! Anyone know how those tracks are usually calibrated? Is it the middle lane that is exactly .25 around? That would make sense.

Will be adding some Pilates to the mix, and I picked up a copy of Jillian Michaels' 30-day Shred. I've heard good things. On we go.

1 comment:

Felicia said...

Ooh, I suggest getting Jillian's 30 day shred workout video too. A 20 minute workout that will get you an awesome workout.