Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Thoughts from a Househusband 2

Something occurred to me the other day; being a stay at home parent is not like a job at all. I thought that staying at home would be like a simple transfer to a new position or small career change. I thought my hours would be better, I thought I would enjoy being my own boss. I thought that the work would be less stressful. Boy was I wrong!

The hours suck, and there is no such thing as a weekend off. I really thought that being a househusband would be just another work day – different deadlines, different boss, but work all the same. The problem with my logic was that the weekend comes and I am still a dad with a very demanding boss. And the stakes are much higher – quarterly sales goals are nothing compared to helping my daughter form the personality that will take her through her whole life.

I've got the best job in the world. Hats off to all those stay at home moms and dads.

2 comments:

Jenny Garland said...

Stephen, I'm totally with you on this post! I thought when I had Kate that staying at home would be a walk in the park and (gasp) relaxing. Joke was on me!! I wouldn't change staying with her for the world but it's funny how we just didn't know what we were getting in to, huh? :) I looooove the "not the mama" video - that was such a cute show. Anyway, Stella is absolutely gorgeous! I love checking new pics of her and seeing what you and Jessica are up to.

Jenny Garland (Chris and Becca's friend)

Cyn said...

You'll be happy to know that actually most babies say Daddy before Mommy. :)

And yes, this is the best job! It does get more relaxing, once you move to "pro" status- I'll let you know when you're there- ha! (Maybe have two- ha! ha!)