Wednesday, January 21, 2009

green garage sale

Saturday morning Stella came with me to the lake to work out with my running buddies. I say 'work out' instead of 'run', since I was just up for a walk this time. I have misplaced my iPod, and while I know I can run without it, it is not as much fun. So I figured I will save my knees and burn almost as many calories with a brisk walk. Baby girl enjoyed the scenery and dogs. On the way home, we stopped at a garage sale, just to see what we could find. I LOVE garage sales - maybe it is the treasure hunter in me, maybe it is the haggler in me, who knows. It's a slice of pure entrepreneurism at its most basic level. And now I can love them for two more reasons: they are environmentally friendly and great for kids.
So I'm not just cheap, I'm reducing waste in our landfill. And if I find a toy or something for Stella, that means one less plastic thing has to be manufactured new.
Garage sale lovers, hide in shame no more! Be proud to shop in the most eco-friendly manner possible! No bags, no signs, no manufacturing! And don't forget to negotiate!

1 comment:

Cyn said...

This is also why I love Craigslist (although I've never actually bought anything, but love to look for good bargins) and Cutie Patotie (sp?)- a great second hand store for kids.