Sunday, December 14, 2008

our tannenbaum

After only seven years of marriage, we got our first Christmas tree.
We bribed our friend Truck, I mean Wes, with dinner and Stella time. What a good sport.
Here they are setting up the tree. Yes, there was a wrench involved.
We got a real tree, it even came with a real slug living on a branch and real needles that are oh-so-festively decorating the floor. I love it. It smells like Christmas in our house. While a real tree may be a bit more of a hassle, it's not like this is a way of life - it's once a year. Stella seems to have figured out that needles are not so tasty, and the ornaments are out of her reach, for now anyway. I'm sure that by the time Christmas gets here, she will be three feet tall.
She's fascinated by the lights:the finished scene:
So at long last, I get to use the truly fabulous chandelier ornaments Stephen bought me a few years ago. This puts the cherry on top of a many-layered argument. On the one hand, they are fabulous and I love them. On the other hand, I HATE giving and receiving ornaments as gifts. (No offense to anyone who may have previously given me any ornaments. Ha.) It's just that you get them on Christmas, and then you can't use them for a whole freaking year. Plus if you are a design snob like me, you really like to pick this kind of thing out yourself. Plus, when he first found the chandelier ornaments and asked me if I liked them, I said no. He asked if I wanted them, and I said no. Then he gave them to me, after vetoing a Christmas tree for oh, the fifth year in a row (we've always gone out of town for the holiday). The cruelty was completely lost on him, and he did not understand why I was upset. I have since explained to him why I was upset, using graphs and charts where necessary.
Let's just say they look pretty on the tree and we can all be happy now. :) It's a festivus miracle!

No comments: